Author Topic: Sinus Infections  (Read 1377 times)

8greenbeans

Sinus Infections
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:37:16 PM »
A couple of us got sinus infections this past week. It's been awhile since I've had one of these and I had forgotten just how miserable they can make you.
This particular one is characterized by sinus pressure & headache, swollen lymph nodes in neck (side and back), thick mucus running down throat (not necessarily coming out of nose) which causes a sore throat. Body aches can accompany this infection making one think they could have the flu.

~~~Garlic garlic garlic - I chop garlic all day long and eat a half a clove every few hours. Garlic does 2 things - fight the infection and dry you up similar to an antihistamine.
~~~Garlic and ginger lemonade - I use a water infuser and put thin slices of garlic and ginger in the infuser, pour boiling water in the pitcher, and add lemon juice & honey when it is just warm. Even the baby will drink this when enough honey or stevia is added (depending on the age of the baby - under a year use stevia only).... Drink this throughout the day. A bit of cayenne pepper can be added as well - but I add that to individual cups rather than the pitcher since each person can tolerate different amounts if any at all.
~~~Rub Thieves oil all over neck and head
~~~Breathe in peppermint
~~~White willow bark tincture for pain (or other pain tincture)
~~~Neti pot to help break up and remove infection from the sinus cavities
~~~Ice packs on swollen lymph nodes that are really sore
~~~If needed, usnea tincture to loosen mucus
~~~A mixture of honey and lemon for sore throat - equal parts each, no water. Lemon cuts the mucus drainage while honey coats & soothes the raw, sore throat tissue.

I woke up just before 6 hurting so badly. 4 majorly swollen lymph glands that made my whole neck sore, head pounding especially in the key sinus areas, sore throat, and body aches. I got up and made honey & lemon, took a small clove of garlic in a little honey, took some white willow bark, and rubbed thieves oil all over my head and neck. Went back to sleep for 2 hours and repeated adding breathing peppermint. Tried to stay up but I just hurt too bad so went back to sleep. Woke up a little after 10 still hurting but not nearly as bad and repeated my treatments. Iced down my lymph nodes and using Neti pot now that I can tolerate tilting my head. Oh so much better. Out of experience I know to continue the chopped garlic for 3 full days after symptoms are gone or else I'll have a relapse equal to or worse than what I just got over!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:50:06 PM by 8greenbeans »

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

Re: Sinus Infections
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »
While everyone else got better - I totally slacked taking my 3-days-after-I-feel-better meds and got hit with it again really badly. So I've had to add oregano & the nebulizer of h2o2 to my routine. Definitely feeling better tonight than I was when I woke this morning.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:34:06 PM by 8greenbeans »

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal