Author Topic: Southeast Preppers Resource Map  (Read 22592 times)

Lilburner

Southeast Preppers Resource Map
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:53 PM »
Little something I've been playing with to add to the site.

One of my favorite things to use it for is to save it to my Google Maps so when I get directions on Android, I'll see if I'm passing any place interesting.

I'd like suggestions and more importantly, resources to add. I'd like to build on it some more before rolling it out to the public.

In the section for firearms, I don't want to put every gun store in the state/region. Just the special ones. Right now it's a couple free transfer places and the largest gun store in the state (one of the largest in the US). I'd like to keep it to "Destination" gun stores. There's one in Athens I'd like to add - the kind of place people would drive miles around to visit or want to visit when they're nearby.

I put in Harbor Freight and Northern Tool as tool places - everyone knows where the Big Boxes are. I was going to put in Tractor Supply, but when I pulled them up, they're EVERYWHERE, so I assume everyone knows where those are.

I'd really like to add more prepping and homesteading places throughout the region, but can't hardly find any.

Let me know what you think and what you can add.

http://tinyurl.com/SEPNMap

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:44:58 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

Re: Southeast Preppers Resource Map
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »
Idea?  State Parks?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:40:02 AM »
That is very cool. Thanks for putting this together. Nice piece of work.
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

wiseguy

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:25:32 PM »
How about good places to get seeds and garden supplies.  I had a place located on another computer that sold seed potatoes, but I can't find it now. 

florida44

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 02:58:05 PM »
and building and hardware supplies. In rural areas where most of us have a BOL - it can be tough to decide which direction to head for a long drive to a nearest town for lumber, etc... same with groceries. Hunting supplies and deer coolers, game processors.

I thought about making it bug out related and including water sources and such but figured if I am down to walking then this will not be very accessible anyway.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »
I don't think I was clear on the suggestions.

I meant SPECIFIC suggestions.

More "ABC Feed and Seed at 123 Easy Street in Funkytown".

And less "It would be OK if you went and did a bunch more nondescript work to it".

As to adding things like state parks, I really don't see it, but you're welcome to make a case. I just don't see the "Oh I'll be passing near a state park, think I'll stop in" angle. To me that seems like something you'd look for specifically, and if you loaded the map into your Google, the other stuff would populate. More like "Oh there's a Northern Tool on the way to that state park I'm going to". Not "There's a state park over by that Army Navy I'm going to"
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

cope

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
Google earth allows you to create maps and save way points as a kmz file I believe it is. Why not have various kmz files for each section of things people could download from the site. You could have a seeds file, gun store file, state parks file, etcetc/

I did this for my local AO and county EMA. We marked all the radio towers, water towers, electrical power plants, police stations, fire stations, ambulance parks, etcetc. You get the idea. Each one was a separate kmz file so you could click on and off what you wanted to see in google earth.

Just a suggestion.

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
That sounds great.

That would solve the problem of the default view being too crowded.

Would you like to help work on it?

That question is for anyone, really.
~ Daniel Webster

cope

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 11:05:30 AM »
Start you off with this one a list of Nuke Plants in and around Georgia. I already had this one for our local EMA maps so we could watch for these.
I had to change the file type to .doc as this forum wouldn't allow .kmz / I think if you download it then change it back it should work. Not sure someone let me know. If not not sure how we go about uploading .kmz files then.

cope

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »
For ham radio operators these are FCC Monitoring Facilities. They are able to triangulate and listen to all radio traffic.

cope

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Here are military bases in Georgia Im pretty sure I didn't get them all.

cope

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 11:22:17 AM »
This is a list of all radio stations, tv stations, etcetc and list of towers. I wanted this in case I needed to climb one when shtf and place one of my solar powered ham radio repeaters. I figured I could get more coverage by setting it up on a high tower.

cope

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 11:27:48 AM »
To give you all some more ideas this is how I have my map categorized. Also you can convert the kmz files to files that your garmin hand held gps can understand which is nice.
I have the ones I already uploaded along with, Fire Departments, Law Enforcement Facilities (includes jails prisons police and sheriff), Health facilities, Govt Facilities, Water Towers, Airports and landingstrips, Ponds, Electrical Substations, Gas Lines, Misc, and more.
That should get everyone started thinking about what resources they have around them. We can all save and share maps if we update them and use the same names for items.

cope

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
start for state parks
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:00:21 PM by cope »

Lilburner

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »
OK - I think I've turned on kmz attachments.

The filetypes are limited so that we don't host pictures on the site, being a no-budget operation.

I'll take a look and see if I can figure out how to incorporate them into the "My Maps" software next time I get to work with it
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal